My Breakup, NYFW








WHAT I’M WEARING  
SKIRT: Boohoo | JACKET: Zara | TOP: Unleashed World | BOOTS: Jerome C. Rousseau | HANDBAG: Kara Ross Heritage | SUNNIES: Ray Ban | JEWLERY: Unleashed & Freida Rothman 

I came, I saw, I conquered…NYFW I love you but I’m happy our affair is finally over. We are officially done. Fashion week is exciting, stressful and fabulous all at the same time. I have been attending NYFW for 12 years now (damn I’m getting old!) and boy has it changed. My very first fashion show was at Bryant Park in the big famous white tents, it used to be super exclusive and ONLY for industry people. I was so excited to be there, the energy was amazing, it was the best day of my 17 year old life. It then moved to Lincoln Center, which was fun but just different. NOW it’s all over the place, scattered throughout the city which is extremely difficult. I hate to sound cynical, but I think the world of fashion is drastically changing. Virtual reality, live streaming and content is slowly but surely taking over. I encourage emerging designers to stop fighting it, stop paying so much money for a show and start getting creative and thinking about the “new age” of our industry.

 I actually started my career in fashion as a runway producer. I loved the chaos + adrenaline + screaming to get the models lined up. We would work our ASSES OFF for months, all for 6 minutes, and then it’s all over. Weeks of prepping, countless nights without sleep, styling all of the looks, anxiety …all for 6 minutes or less. It’s actually quite crazy when I  think about it now. Taking a big gulp as I say this, but I am really excited to announce my exit from the world of fashion. It doesn’t seem as meaningful anymore. You work 7 days a week for what? What does it all mean? What am I doing for my future or to better the world? I am so excited to announce that UNLEASHED is now a pending 501(c)(3) non profit organization, created to highlight talented female craft artisans in marginalized areas around the world. UNLEASHED is creating an original content series called “CONNECTING THREADS”,  our first episode is being filmed in India with top Award Winning Director, Amy Berg . 

Connecting Threads allows us to hear the voices of the voiceless and shed light on the powerful changes that occur when women support women- proving once again that the future is female. I will always have my own personal stye, support my fellow designer friends, and encourage industry change…but I am turning a new chapter. This is very exciting, scary and stressful, but no risk no reward?! I want to travel the world, really help women, leave my footprint with some of the most amazing leaders and mentors a girl could ask for alongside Kara Ross. 

Speaking of fab female artisans, my sequin snake top was hand beaded in Bareilly, India by our female artisan collective. It is 100% organic cotton, comfortable and has such a wonderful story that provides jobs and opportunity for impoverished women. Our very first ready-to-wear collection, UNLEASHING INDIA, launches with Lord & Taylor Oct 15th (in all doors and online) and a capsule with Bloomingdales.com November 15th. 

Fashion will always have a special place in my heart, just in a different way now. I am so excited to travel, meet these AMAZINGLY TALENTED ARTISANS and truly help them. Looks like 2018 is living up to my year of WANDERLUST, bring it on!! Greece, Cambodia, Vietnam, Australia…so many possibilities and potential. I am headed to India on Oct 1st for episode #1, it is going to life changing experience. Everyone I have spoken to always says “India changes your life”. Well here goes nothing…. 




SPREAD THE WORD



SaveSaveSaveSave

Comments